Login Screen Hijacked; also an interesting experiment.

User support
epicdragon44

Login Screen Hijacked; also an interesting experiment.

Postby epicdragon44 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:01 pm

Hello everyone!

Was interested to see if Yunit-desktop can install on Linux Mint Cinnamon Sonya 64-bit, and it did. Just an experiment, and I wanted to report back that it was successful! (Just follow the instructions on the blog post as if it were ubuntu)
However, there are no logout/leave session buttons as far as i can tell. In old Unity, that was in the upper right corner but now there's a sidepanel thing (that is undeniably cool, but unfamiliar).
Also, my apps won't load, but that's to be expected running yunit-desktop on an unsupported distribution.
Both of the above complaints aren't actually real worries. However...

I'd like to remove it now, since all I wanted to do was try it out. However, after running

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge yunit-desktop
my login screen remains unity-8 styled (with side dock, top panel, cool clock, etc), instead of default Linux Mint login screen.

How can I remove it? Also, congrats on making a very smooth and interesting interface!

jsalatas

Re: Login Screen Hijacked; also an interesting experiment.

Postby jsalatas » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:10 am

Hmmm.... this is rather tricky :\

Actually as a first step you could run

sudo apt autoremove --purge
However there would be still leftover packagesm which you could identify by their version as all packages released by yunit contain yunit in their version. The command

apt list | grep yunit
would return you these leftover packages which should be either removed or downgraded to their original version.

If this doesn't help you, then i would suggest to email me the file /var/log/apt/history.log and I guess I could come up with a script to clean up your system.

Return to “Support”