User support
Aury88

Postby Aury88 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:51 am

Hi guys.
I don't understand where is the location to give the feedback.
sorry if this is the wrong page.
this experience is done on a Lenovo B51-80 (integrate intel graphic..aka open driver )
My experience with yunit was pretty good and surely better than the last ubuntu 16.04 compatible silos during the unity from canonical era.
you can see some screenshot here

I have also some bug to report and you can also see them in the linked screenshot.
1)some app, previously installed under unity7 session, are showed in a strange way in a window like audacious and
2)also their icons don't appear in the launchbar .
3) I am not able to remove silenced option with the volume control in the top panel (it became green but the audio remain silenced). I have to use the special key on my keyboard.
4) both browser and firefox open the page in the smartphone-mode. by default on desk they shoult open webpage in the desk configuration or choose the mode based on their windows size.
5) when I open the file manager (nautilus) it open two window. one classical on my home folder and another with my wallpaper in background showing my file on the unity7 desktop.
6) my file on the unity7 desktop are not showed in the unity8 desktop.
7) I think is used a wrong resolution. fonts and element on screen are not defined as in unity7. you can see that on the screenshot.
8) I have had a sort of crash with Gimp (previously installed under unity7) when I interrupted a saving process. the gimp interface became unresponsive but the window closing button work without problem

thank you guys! this was a pleasant experience and give me new hopes for this DE.

mauricioduarte01

Re: feedback: yunit on ubuntu 16.04 on a lenovo B51-80

Postby mauricioduarte01 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:27 pm

Hello sir,

Great review. Yeah I am experiencing the same issues explained in 1-2-3.

About 4th point sadly I don't have the chance to try it because I am using the Nightly version from Firefox, which works ok but I am experiencing issues with right-clicking menus and pop up menus in general so the program just crashes when I do that. I am neither able to copy and paste stuff because of this.

5th I am experiencing also the same issue. Sometimes I get stuck in a loop when I open new windows and it keep popping up new random windows until the entire DE crashes and resets itself. Also when I open some applications and AppImage ones, nautilus just gets buggy and crashes.

I reported a few more bugs in the Github page. this is a big step in the right direction for the devs of Yunit but the DE is still very green and for me kinda unusable at this moment sadly, so I better just wait for the devs to update and fix the main issues before trying anything.

jsalatas

Postby jsalatas » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:37 pm

Hi and thanks for your feedback!

Regrading the misbehaved X11 apps could you please try editing their desktop files (they should be in /usr/share/applications folder) and the following?

Code: Select all

X-Ubuntu-XMir-Enable=false
That will make these to run natively and not through XMir.

See also this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z54dIL1us_c

Aury88

Postby Aury88 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:52 am

hi!
regarding the app resolution (point 7 in my list) from the second loggin in the yunit session it's correct...I don't know if it is caused by some upgrade I've done from the first loggin or because yunit needed a restart. their GUIs are still unresponsive/unstable (point 8 in my list, this time with audacious).

about the desktop files I don't find them...(tried with Gimp, Audacious...every app seems to have a different directory organization.) but I've to say that I never used them and probably I didn't recognized them :oops: . ..
I don't understand this point. I've installed those apps under unity7. are you saying that the yunit installation changed every single app's desktop file adding a X-Ubuntu-XMir-Enable=true in their /usr/share/app_name/*? :o

jsalatas

Postby jsalatas » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:24 am

hi!
regarding the app resolution (point 7 in my list) from the second loggin in the yunit session it's correct...I don't know if it is caused by some upgrade I've done from the first loggin or because yunit needed a restart. their GUIs are still unresponsive/unstable (point 8 in my list, this time with audacious).

about the desktop files I don't find them...(tried with Gimp, Audacious...every app seems to have a different directory organization.) but I've to say that I never used them and probably I didn't recognized them :oops: . ..
I don't understand this point. I've installed those apps under unity7. are you saying that the yunit installation changed every single app's desktop file adding a X-Ubuntu-XMir-Enable=true in their /usr/share/app_name/*? :o
sorry, just forget about the X-Ubuntu-XMir-Enable thing. I had something else in mind when I was replying.

Sorry :(

Aury88

Postby Aury88 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:47 pm

^^
don't worry and thank you for your reply, I know you are full of works so have something else in mind is absolutely understandable ;)

Cheers !

Return to “Support”