*First* priority

General discussions
jsalatas

Re: *First* priority

Postby jsalatas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Sorry about the delay, I'm working on it but really slow lately: I'm currently stuck with the oxide-qt engine and the gcc 7 which it's huge size proved to be a pain in the ass. :(
I've not followed closely, so I may have this wrong: didn't UBports switch to a less "pain in the ass" rendering engine? Could that be a better way forwards?
I'm not aware of that :\
We had some discussions about this but not sure if that went any further.

jsalatas

Postby jsalatas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:40 pm

Regardless of the accuracy of that suggestion, the advice from former Unity8 developers is that "keeping oxide alive is a insane task" for you, and that "oxide and qtwebengine have pretty similar APIs".
I was hoping to have oxide-qt to 17.10 first and the see how I could migrate to qtwebengine. I guess I need to rethink about it :\

AlanGriffiths

Postby AlanGriffiths » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:22 am

I was hoping to have oxide-qt to 17.10 first and the see how I could migrate to qtwebengine. I guess I need to rethink about it :\
It might also help to prune the oxide dependencies (at least until the desktop is running): e.g. you don't really need your own web browser.

jsalatas

Postby jsalatas » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:44 pm

It might also help to prune the oxide dependencies (at least until the desktop is running): e.g. you don't really need your own web browser.
Yeah! Besides the broswer, I need to check if oxide's qml component is being used by some other yunit component :\

I was also thinking of keeping the oxide interfaces and just letting it act as a proxy to qtwebengine instead of completely dropping it. That way we will know that we won't break something (eg third party mobile apps) that is using oxide. I need to investigate if this is feasible.

jsalatas

Postby jsalatas » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Yeah! Besides the broswer, I need to check if oxide's qml component is being used by some other yunit component :\

I was also thinking of keeping the oxide interfaces and just letting it act as a proxy to qtwebengine instead of completely dropping it. That way we will know that we won't break something (eg third party mobile apps) that is using oxide. I need to investigate if this is feasible.
OK, just a quick update: I guess I'll try to continue wothout the browser for now and see about it later as for the desktop is not a critical component. Hopefully I might be able to release updated for debian sid during the Thanksgivining holiday and at the same time I'll coordinate with Khurshid who is already working for an ubuntu 17.10 (https://github.com/yunit-io/oxide-qt/issues/1) in order to finalize and release this as well.

giorgosioak

Postby giorgosioak » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:10 pm

I believe that some people have discussed about porting in arch in past.
Yes, we discussed on August-September on Telegram group.

My knowledge on aur packaging is just the basic. If you need anything i'm here.

( I already tried to make a package without success. It's too much for a first time. )

Return to “Discussion”