*First* priority

General discussions
jsalatas

Re: *First* priority

Postby jsalatas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Sorry about the delay, I'm working on it but really slow lately: I'm currently stuck with the oxide-qt engine and the gcc 7 which it's huge size proved to be a pain in the ass. :(
I've not followed closely, so I may have this wrong: didn't UBports switch to a less "pain in the ass" rendering engine? Could that be a better way forwards?
I'm not aware of that :\
We had some discussions about this but not sure if that went any further.

jsalatas

Postby jsalatas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:40 pm

Regardless of the accuracy of that suggestion, the advice from former Unity8 developers is that "keeping oxide alive is a insane task" for you, and that "oxide and qtwebengine have pretty similar APIs".
I was hoping to have oxide-qt to 17.10 first and the see how I could migrate to qtwebengine. I guess I need to rethink about it :\

AlanGriffiths

Postby AlanGriffiths » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:22 am

I was hoping to have oxide-qt to 17.10 first and the see how I could migrate to qtwebengine. I guess I need to rethink about it :\
It might also help to prune the oxide dependencies (at least until the desktop is running): e.g. you don't really need your own web browser.

jsalatas

Postby jsalatas » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:44 pm

It might also help to prune the oxide dependencies (at least until the desktop is running): e.g. you don't really need your own web browser.
Yeah! Besides the broswer, I need to check if oxide's qml component is being used by some other yunit component :\

I was also thinking of keeping the oxide interfaces and just letting it act as a proxy to qtwebengine instead of completely dropping it. That way we will know that we won't break something (eg third party mobile apps) that is using oxide. I need to investigate if this is feasible.

Return to “Discussion”