Beyond convergence

General discussions
jsalatas

Beyond convergence

Postby jsalatas » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:33 pm

Sharing content between multiple devices is something that I really want to see in yunit.

A concept similar to below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEkaxi7pqlk

Wouldn't that be interesting? :D

Aury88

Re: Beyond convergence

Postby Aury88 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:46 am

I'm absolutely interested in this.
A thing that I miss under the canonical Ubuntu personal concept was the sharing of information/work between multiple devices. they where focused almost exclusively in sharing the single device on multiple use cases and therefore the work continuity was in the use of only one device. but I've already a tv screen, two pc :lol: .

jsalatas

Re: Beyond convergence

Postby jsalatas » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:25 am

I'm just copying here some ideas that came up in our telegram group (just for reference).

Aury88
This should be based on an app ported on various OS able to identify the focused/in use app, it status (file, website, menus etc open) and share the information over the wireless/bluetooth (if the targhet device can be reach) or over the internet (if it is not) where a same app capture the information, choose a similar app (you could have different app on different devices for the same purpose) and open it in the same situation
jsalatas
Actually I was thinking a more generic protocol based on mimetypes or something which could work in different applications. Imagine for example the use case of reading a pdf. In order to continue reading it in a different device I just need to transfer the actual pdf file and the position (page) that I'm currently reading in another pdf reader. Same with the use case of writing an email: I can transfer all the completed info (subject, from, to, cc, body, attachments, etc) to any other mail client and continue from there :\
Aury88
But you should also find the appropriate app open on it
jsalatas
every os knows how to handle a specific mimetype (clicking on a file in the file manager), so the case should be similar here, we just need to extend it some how (ie instead of clicking receiving some info from the netwoek or bluetooth).

Of course this is a very abstract description, just to get an idea on how can this be achieved.

And obviously this shouldn't be a yunit specific thing but a freedesktop standard or something :\

Return to “Discussion”